- options to select the video and audio format;
- post-processing options such as: extract audio from video file, embed thumbnail in audio file, add metadata, select audio quality;
- can embed subtitles into the video file (mp4 only);
- configurable filename format for the downloaded audio/video file;
- supports authentication;
- allows using a proxy;
- can specify user agent and referrer;
- supports passing extra youtube-dl command line options.
YouTUbe-DL GUI automatically downloads (and updates) the youtube-dl binary so you don’t have to worry about having an old youtube-dl that no longer works. By default, the binary is saved under the ~/.config/youtube-dlg directory.
For post-processing, the application uses FFmpeg, so you’ll need this installed for some options, like merging DASH files, etc.
Changes in YouTube-DL GUI 0.4:
- new user interface;
- easier format selection (now available directly in the main UI, and not in the app settings);
- easier save path selection (now available directly in the main UI, and not in the app settings);
- added new options to move item in queue, pause, play, delete, pause, etc.;
- added new supported youtube-dl options: -v, –ignore-config, –hls-prefer-native, –no-mtime, etc.;
- added option for embedding thumbnails to audio files;
- support for new output templates;
- added generic video formats (3gp, mp4, webm, etc..);
- added dynamic format options: the “default” format option in the UI downloads the best available format (“best” option in youtube-dl), while setting the default format as well as enabling the ‘Extract audio from video file’ option will download the best audio (“bestaudio” option in youtube-dl) available;
- calculate final size of post process files;
- extract final extension after merging process;
- extract final extension after recording process;
- bug fixes and various other changes.
For more information, see the YouTube-DL GUI changelog.
Install YouTube-DL GUI in Ubuntu or Linux Mint
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt update
sudo apt install youtube-dlg
For other Linux distributions and Windows, see the YouTube-DL GUI GitHub page.